Shot Peening for Metal Components
Along with a variety of abrasive blasting services, Aamro is pleased to showcase our shot peening capabilities. This is a cold working process, in which small spheres of metallic, glass, or ceramic materials ("shots") repeatedly impact a surface. The resulting deformation causes a reaction on an atomic level, as the particles act to resist further compression. The effect of the resultant compressive stress is to extended part life and improved fatigue resistance.
Shot peening has many uses in industry. In addition to improving metal, it is used for sand removal, descaling, and surface finishing. We offer shot peening for most metals, including stainless steel, aluminum, and steel parts, and can accommodate various dimensions. We stock a variety of shot materials, and can shot peen by hand or choose from a number of state-of-the-art machines, including tumble wheel machines, a monorail wheel machine, air blast tumble machines, and a table blaster, ensuring the best results for every client's needs. Typical shot peened parts include springs, castings, stampings, machined parts, and gears, to name a few. We deal with small production to high volume, meeting standards set by AMS and Mil-Spec for this process.
For more information about our shot peening services, or our menu of specialty finishing services, please see the table below or contact us directly.
Highlights of this Shot Peening Process
- Product Description
- Shot peening is a cold working process used to produce a compressive residual stress layer and modify mechanical properties of metals. It entails impacting a surface with shot (round metallic, glass, or ceramic particles) with force sufficient to create plastic deformation. Shot peening is used on gear parts, cams and camshafts, clutch springs, coil springs, connecting rods, crankshafts, gearwheels, leaf and suspension springs, rock drills, and turbine blades. It is also used in foundries for sand removal, descaling, and surface finishing of castings such as engine blocks and cylinder heads.
- Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Overall Part Dimensions
- Various Dimensions can be Accommodated
- Part Material Type
- Steel, Stainless Steel, Aluminum
- Special Feature
- We stock a variety of shot materials-steel shot, stainless steel shot, glass bead and ceramic bead. We have tumble wheel machines, a monorail wheel machine, air blast tumble machines, a table blaster, and can shot peen by hand.
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Visual Inspection
- Industry for Use
- Springs, Castings, Stampings, Machined Parts, Gears
- Small Orders to High Volume
- Delivery Location
- Broadview, Illinois
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications
AMS 2430, J2441, AMS-S-13165, MIL-S-13165
- Product Name
- Shot Peening